This species is known as Niger Trigger, Redtoothed Triggerfish
and the correct latin name is Odonus niger
. The family that this fish belongs to is called the Triggers
) Origin of this species is Indo-Pacific
Character and suggestions regarding care
This fish might become aggressive towards tankmates if kept in classic aquariums. Public aquariums are more suitable.
Niger Trigger can grow up to 50 cm what is approximately 19 inches. 1 specimen basically needs at least 6000cm2
of water surface which is approximately 930 square inch. It is recommended to raise this species in fish tanks that are very large. (e
) Medium aquariums have at least 113 Litres (30 US Gallons). Large aquariums have at least 265 Litres (70 US Gallons). Very large aquariums have at least 700 Litres (185 US Gallons).
It is easy to keep the Niger Trigger fish. (e
) The specific gravity (SG) should be between 1,020 and 1,025, the temperature between 23°C (73.4°F) and 26°C (78.8°F). The pH level should be stable, varying between 8.0 and 8.3 which is usual for marine fish.
Thanks to Kenneth Leonard
for the pictures. Copyright Ken Leonard.
Related fish profiles in the database
Recommended readingBy Exotic Aquariums
- Balistapus Undulatus (Undulate Trigger, Orangelined, Orangetailed, Orange-Lined Triggerfish)
- Balistes Vetula (Queen Trigger)
- Balistoides Conspicillum (Clown Trigger)
- Melichthys Indicus (Indian Triggerfish, Black Triggerfish, Black Finned Triggerfish)
- Melichthys Vidua (Pinktail Trigger)
- Pseudobalistes Flavimarginatus (Yellowmargin Triggerfish)
- Pseudobalistes Fuscus (Yellow-spotted Triggerfish, Blue Line Trigger, Rippled Triggerfish)
- Rhinecanthus Aculeatus (Blackbar Triggerfish, HumaHuma Picasso Trigger)
- Rhinecanthus Rectangulus (Wedge-Tail Triggerfish)
- Rhinecanthus Verrucosus (Blackbelly Triggerfish)
- Xanthichthys Auromarginatus (Gilded Triggerfish, Blue Chin Triggerfish, Blue Throat Triggerfish)
- Xanthichthys Caeruleolineatus (Bluelined Triggerfish, Gold Back Triggerfish)
- Xanthichthys Mento (Redtail Triggerfish)
Feel free to share your experiences regarding keeping Odonus niger
below. Every message will be held for approval by our moderators. It usually takes 24 hours to publish your comment. Before you ask anything, browse the questions page
Document modified on Sat Sep 27 4:52:47 UTC 2008
Document created on Wed Dec 19 10:41:21 UTC 2007
edit this page
How to cite this page? Use the following HTML:
"Niger Trigger." saltwater.aqua-fish.net. Wed Dec 19 10:41:21 UTC 2007.<br /><br />
Aqua-Fish.Net. Sat Mar 25 3:46:55 UTC 2017 <a href="https://saltwater.aqua-fish.net/?niger-trigger" >https://saltwater.aqua-fish.net/?niger-trigger</a>.
or create a new fish profile